6/20/10, $550,000 award to Hansen in Tokyo, praised for influencing goverment policy, "Climate scientists awarded prestigious Blue Planet Prize," Environment News Service, Tokyo
- 2009 Hansen published a book released right before the Copenhagen climate summit, "Storms of my grandchildren: The truth about the coming climate catastrophe and our last chance to save humanity"
- 2/ 10/08, "Climate scientist they could not silence," TimesOnlineUK, Jonathan Leake
"What marks Hansen out is his success in getting such ideas heard.
- “My original media sin goes back to 1981,” says Hansen.
“I had written a paper for Science [the renowned academic journal] making predictions about climate change, but I thought it might get ignored.
- So I sent it to a reporter at The New York Times –
- and he put it on the front page.”...
In 1989, "Called before a congressional committee hearing looking at climate change, he sent an
- advance fax to Al Gore, its chairman,
suggesting some of the questions that he would like to answer.
“What I told them was that the written evidence submitted in my name did not contain my words. It had been rewritten by the president’s own budget office to support their own agenda.”
This time the resulting storm was so great it saw climate change catapulted into the political arena as never before.
- George Bush Sr (the father of George W Bush), who was then running for president,
- promised to “fight the greenhouse effect with the White House effect”.
via Haunting Library, Climate Depot