Shutting down coal power would only contribute 40 million of the 62-100 million tons targets call for:
11/16/14, "Coal power plants: Gabriel announces departure from climate goals," Der Spiegel, Hamburg, google translation from German
"The climate goal of the Federal Government is no longer tenable. This has given internally to SPIEGEL information economy minister Gabriel. The main reason is the refusal of the Minister to shut down old coal pile. The grand coalition is planning a departure from their previous climate protection goals. Notwithstanding any other public protestations Federal Economics Minister Sigmar Gabriel
(SPD) abandoned the requirement for an internal round, saving at least
40 percent of CO2 emissions compared to 1990 levels by 2020.
"It's clear that the goal is not to keep," the Vice Chancellor said to
information obtained by SPIEGEL, adding: "We can not from now on
regardless of the coal out."
Experts doubt for some time because the targets are met - especially since Gabriel defends the coal-fired power vehemently.
According to the Environment Ministry, Germany would have every year
from 62 to 100 million tonnes of CO2 savings in addition to it to
achieve the goals yet. But the shutdown of old coal pile would bring 40 million tons.
Gabriel has now with its line against Environment Minister Barbara Hendricks enforced (SPD), which had always insisted that comply with the laid down in the coalition agreement climate targets.
Gabriel had signaled her in a private conversation that he would not tolerate further resistance to his new line. "The running so not" have the SPD leader explained.
Read the whole story here in the current SPIEGEL .
In the SPD, however, criticism of Gabriel's course reversal is loud elsewhere. In a letter of prominent eco-experts of the party, including Erhard Eppler , Volker Hauff and Ernst Ulrich von Weizsacker, urge the signatories of the SPD ministers in the federal government, not to rock the climate.
At the national reduction target for 2020 should be noted: "This
national measure is also important because the EU climate and energy
targets for 2030, unfortunately, the end of October adopted are far too
little ambitious and remain binding on energy conservation."
From the SPD parliamentary group comes protest.
The environmental spokesman Matthias Miersch said: "It is fundamentally
wrong to give the impression that we have abandoned the climate
target." It was "a mistake to make the environment against the economy". Also Group Vice Ute Vogt criticized the pivot: "We must remain visible in the topic." If the government does not exacerbating the measures, "we do not create the climate goal". via Climate Depot
11/17/14, "Germany To Drop 2020 Climate Targets," Paul Homewood
"Since the Federal elections in Germany, earlier this year, there has
been a running battle between Sigmar Gabriel, minister for economic
affairs and energy, and Barbara Hendricks, the environmental minister.
Gabriel has been keen to drop CO2 targets, because of the damage they
have been doing to the economy, while his colleague takes the opposite
view. According to Der Spiegel, it is Gabriel who has won the battle."
Shutting down coal power would only contribute 40
million of the 62-100 million tons targets call for:
11/17/14, "Breitbart report," Donna Rachel Edmunds
"Germany’s Vice Chancellor, Sigmar Gabriel, has indicated that the country will abandon its commitment to reducing CO2
emissions by 40 percent by 2020, from a 1990 base level. In doing so he
has won the ongoing clash with his own environmental minister Barbara
Hendricks over energy policy, telling her that he will tolerate no
further resistance to the change of direction, according to Der Speigel.
The target has been in doubt for some time, not least because
Gabriel, a former environment minister himself and current minister for
economic affairs and energy, is known to be supportive of the coal
industry. According to the Environment Ministry, Germany would have to
find a way of cutting emissions by between 62 and 100 million tonnes of
CO2 every year for the next sixteen years in order to reach
the target. Shutting down coal power stations would only contribute 40
million tonnes to that target.
"It’s clear that the [2020 CO2] target is no longer
viable," Gabriel said, adding: "We cannot exit from coal power
overnight." Earlier this year Gabriel told Spiegel: "It is an illusion
to believe that Germany could simultaneously move away from both nuclear
and coal energy".
"The enormous task facing Germany in what it has to do to hit the 2020
target, a 40% cut from 1990 levels, is evident when looking at the
progress to date.
To achieve the 2020 target, there will need to be a cut of 20% from 2013 levels.
Most of the reduction achieved to date occurred in the 1990’s, as a
result of closure of much of the old East German heavy industry.
reduction has been achieved at all since 2009, and it is questionable
just how much of the small reduction since 2007 has been due to the
This is all despite the huge subsidies flung at renewable energy.
With a new generation of coal power stations coming on line, any
further emission reductions look further away than ever.
still providing 17% of Germany’s electricity output, according to the World Nuclear Association, and this will need to be replaced by 2022 at the latest, adding yet more pressure on the grid.
Regardless of who wins the political battle, Germany does not appear
to have a cat in hell’s chance of getting anywhere near its target." Chart above via Paul Homewood
News that doesn't receive the necessary attention.
- ► 2017 (691)
- ► 2016 (1320)
- ► 2015 (661)
- 2014 Greenland ice mass increases Sept. 1-Nov. 29,...
- German Greens face political extinction. Children ...
- Remains of giant penguin found in New Zealand, 4 f...
- After much delay EPA quietly postpones setting bio...
- 2014 is ninth year in a row US is without a major ...
- Global Cooling snow falls in Ferguson, Missouri
- Obama historic CO2 partner is the last with whom a...
- Global warming pause that began in 1998 could last...
- Science "game changer," new peer reviewed study fi...
- Obama speech to Brisbane college students promotin...
- In filthy China citizens are forced to live amid m...
- US government will finance fossil fuel production ...
- Jacksonville, Florida set new cold record two morn...
- Chinese Communist gov. of trusted Obama 'CO2 partn...
- Peer reviewed study finds sun's magnetic field sig...
- Germany departs from 2020 CO2 goals, cannot possib...
- India's power minister promises to double use of d...
- More than 50% of continental US covered in snow on...
- Conflating air pollution with global warming is a ...
- Arctic Sea Ice Extent as of 11/16/14 at highest le...
- Knowing he has run out of gas with adults, US Pres...
- Mrs. Mitch McConnell in 2013 said the US has "no a...
- Shovel ready jobs in Minneapolis, global warming s...
- Carbon footprint of solar panels made in China is ...
- Global Warming snow falls on Mt. Rushmore, Nov. 11...
- Snowiest start to November on record in Caribou, M...
- Obama coal policies have brought new life to the R...
- Der Spiegel: Nov. 2014 UN IPCC report omits signif...
- New Republican Senate may recognize unsustainabili...
- Mexico to restart bids for bullet train after clai...
- China Pres. Xi Jinping illegal ivory buying spree ...
- Major Libya oil field shut down after Islamist att...
- Empire State Building Goes Red as Republicans take...
- John Kerry avoids snow from global warming, but by...
- Earliest snowfall for this date in Columbia, South...
- California hedge fund billionaire Tom Steyer inter...
- ▼ November (36)
- ► 2013 (550)
- ► 2012 (611)
- ► 2011 (487)
- ► 2010 (337)
- ► 2009 (33)