"3. It is scientifically embarrassing that the EPA has declared CO2 to be a pollutant that must be regulated, since it is a naturally occurring substance required to sustain human, animal and plant life, and for which there is no substitute. (Jan 2013)"
3/8/14, "Earth is Safe From 'Global Warming' Say the Men Who Put Man on the Moon," James Delingpole, Breitbart
"The planet is not in danger of catastrophic man made global warming.
Even if we burn all the world's recoverable fossil fuels it will still
only result in a temperature rise of less than 1.2 degrees C.
So say The Right Climate Stuff Research Team, a group of retired NASA Apollo scientists and engineers - the men who put Neil Armstrong on the moon - in a new report.
"It's an embarrassment to those of us who put NASA's name on the map
to have people like James Hansen popping off about global warming," says
the project's leader Hal Doiron.
Doiron was one of 40 ex NASA employees - including seven astronauts
- who wrote in April 2012 to NASA administrator Charles Bolden
protesting about the organization's promotion of climate change
alarmism, notably via its resident environmental activist James Hansen.
During his stint as head of the NASA Goddard Institute for Space
Studies, Hansen tirelessly promoted Anthropogenic Global Warming theory.
He retired last year to spend more time on environmental campaigning
and has twice been arrested with former mermaid impersonator Darryl
Hannah for his part in protests against surface coal mining and the
Keystone XL pipe line.
While still head of NASA GISS he once described
trains carrying coal as "death trains" "no less gruesome than if they
were carrying boxcars headed to crematoria and loaded with uncountable
irreplaceable species." Many NASA employees and former employees found
his views an embarrassment.
Doiron and his team now hope to set the record straight in a report called Bounding GHG Climate Sensitivity For Use In Regulatory Decisions.
Using calculations by George Stegemeier of the National Academy of
Engineering, they estimated the total quantity of recoverable oil, gas
and coal on the planet. They then used 163 years of real world
temperature data to calculate Transient Climate Sensitivity (ie how much
the world will warm as a result of the burning of all the carbon
dioxide in the fossil fuel). The figure they came up with 1.2 degrees C
which is considerably lower than the wilder claims of the IPCC, whose
reports have suggested it could be as high as 4 degrees C or more.
This is because, as scientists such as the Cato Institute's Pat
Michaels have long argued, "climate sensitivity" (ie how the planet's
temperature responds to CO2 emissions) is considerably lower than the
IPCC's computer models project. So much so that it should be called "climate insensitivity", he believes.
Doiron is similarly sceptical of the computer models used by climate
alarmists. He and his team argue that the 105 models currently used by
the IPCC are seriously flawed because they don't agree with each other
and don't agree with empirical data.
There is no empirical data indicating Anthropogenic Global Warming
will produce catastrophic climate changes. AGW can only produce modest
global warming, likely to be beneficial when CO2 benefits to crop
production are considered.
Doiron says: "I believe in computer models. My whole career was about
using computer models to make life or death decisions. In 1963 I had to
use them to calculate whether, when the lunar module landed on a 12
degree slope it would fall over or not - and design the landing gear
accordingly. But if you can't validate the models - and the IPCC can't -
then don't use them to make critical decisions about the economy and
the planet's future.""
"Because the United States and some other nations have prematurely
accepted the AGW advocates points of view and conclusions as correct, a
large amount of manpower and money is being spent on an attempt to
ameliorate the supposed rise in global temperature. And, also because of
the colossal impact on national economies needed to make significant
climate changes (if this were possible,) we believe it is critical to be
certain of the reality of the conclusions on this subject. During the
course of the study, reports will be provided for peer review as well as
for information to the general public. When we have preliminary reports
that are used for studies within the group, these will be password
protected until they have reached a mature state....
We are gathering together a group of highly educated and experienced
scientists & engineers from various disciplines to take on the
challenge of evaluating the narratives of both the advocates of AGW and
also the skeptics of AGW. A great effort will be made to understand and
objectively reconcile the differences by detailed discussions of the
conflicting elements of the narratives. We are being successful in our
attempt to include members of the study group from both sides of the AGW
argument, and we believe this is important to study all appropriate
inputs and viewpoints."...
From The Right Climate Stuff via WUWT:
"TRCS Conclusions and Recommendations
Jan 2013 and Feb 2014
Detailed proof and references available at http://www.therightclimatestuff.com
in Reports dated Jan 2013, April 2013, and Feb 2014
1. The science that predicts the extent of Anthropogenic Global Warming (AGW) is not settled science. (Jan 2013)
2. Our US government is over-reacting to concerns about AGW. (Jan 2013)
3. It is scientifically embarrassing that the EPA has declared CO2 to be
a pollutant that must be regulated, since it is a naturally occurring
substance required to sustain human, animal and plant life, and for
which there is no substitute. (Jan 2013)
4. We have concluded that the IPCC climate models are seriously flawed
because they don’t agree very closely with measured empirical data.
After a 35 year simulation the models over-predicted actual measured
temperatures by factors of 200% to 750%. One could hardly expect them to
predict with better accuracy 300 years into the future required for use
in regulatory decisions. (Feb 2014)
5. We have developed a straightforward analysis, based on empirical
data, not unproven models, which bounds the maximum possible global
warming that could be caused by increases in atmospheric CO2
concentration. (Feb 2014)
6. We have defined and demonstrated use of a more appropriate Transient
Climate Sensitivity (TCS) metric derived from empirical data for use in
regulatory decisions requiring accurate predictions of global
temperature changes due to changes of CO2 levels in the atmosphere. (Feb
7. There is no convincing evidence that Anthropogenic Global Warming
(AGW) will produce catastrophic climate changes. AGW can only produce
modest amounts of global warming that will likely be beneficial when the
substantial benefits to crop production from more CO2 in the atmosphere
are considered. (Jan 2013) and (Feb 2014)
8. Because there is no immediate threat of global warming requiring
swift corrective action, we have time to study global climate changes
and improve our prediction accuracy. A wider range of solution options
should be studied for global warming or cooling threats from any
credible cause. (Jan 2013)
9. Social Cost of Carbon (SCC) calculations should be based on empirical
data-based transient climate sensitivity metrics with much less
uncertainty than the inappropriate IPCC Equilibrium Climate Sensitivity
(ECS) metric uncertainty range that is computed from the flawed IPCC
climate simulation models. (Feb 2014)
10. ECS is computed from a hypothetical, unrealistic scenario, used only
for comparison of computer model results, where CO2 levels are suddenly
doubled in the atmosphere and the ECS temperature change is computed
over 1000 years later. It is unscientific to base CO2 regulations on ECS
computed from unproven climate models, as currently planned by EPA and
DoE. (Feb 2014)
11. The ECS uncertainty statistical distribution used for justifying EPA
and DoE CO2 emissions regulations is based on wild speculation, not
reliable empirical data. (Feb 2014)
12. A market-driven transition from fossil fuels to alternative fuels
must begin by 2055 just to meet energy demand as dwindling reserves of
economically recoverable fossil fuels drive up their costs. (Feb 2014)
13. Assuming an orderly market driven transition from fossil fuels to
alternatives that do not emit CO2, atmospheric CO2 will remain below 600
ppm. (Feb 2014)
14. The maximum CO2 level of 600 ppm is expected to occur after 2100,
probably about 2130, and will begin to decline thereafter. (Feb 2014)
15. Based on our analysis of empirical data measured over a period of
163 years, that provides a conservative TCS value of 1.6oC, the maximum
expected Green House Gas (GHG) temperature rise from present levels will
be less than 1.2oC (2.1oF) (Feb 2014)
16. CO2 emissions regulations should be based on climate sensitivity to
CO2-only, not the higher sensitivity to all GHG incorporated into the
IPCC ECS uncertainty range. (Feb 2014)
17. CO2 emissions regulations should be based on climate sensitivity to
CO2 emissions, not climate sensitivity to atmospheric CO2 levels, such
as in the ECS and TCS metrics, since a large fraction of CO2 emissions
each year enter our oceans, not our atmosphere. (Feb 2014)
18. Transient Climate Sensitivity (TCS) has low uncertainty and is a
more appropriate metric than ECS for predicting GHG global warming
trends over the next few centuries since much of the uncertainty in ECS
results from hypothesized climate changes that take place more than 300
years into the future. (Feb 2014)
19. High values of SCC computed by EPA and DoE using their flawed
computational process, result from unrealistically high temperatures
causing rapid melt of permanent ice sheets on the planet that have been
growing for thousands, and in some cases, millions of years. The
scientific reality of such speculation needs to be reviewed. (Feb 2014)
20. An independent and objective scientific review board should be
convened to review the EPA and DoE methodology for computing Social Cost
of Carbon used in regulatory decisions. (Feb 2014)."
PDF here: ExecutiveSummaryBoundingGHGClimateSensitivityForUseInRegulatoryDecisions140228(1)
among comments at WUWT:
News that doesn't receive the necessary attention.
- ► 2017 (454)
- ► 2016 (1320)
- ► 2015 (661)
- Desperately seeking some global warming in New Yor...
- WTO rules against China policies restricting expor...
- Lack of severe storms in US in March 2014, near re...
- Great achievement of Kyoto climate agreement wasn'...
- China now world's most dependent on foreign oil, S...
- US now supplies over 10% of world crude oil produc...
- The UN renounces biofuels. What about US EPA biofu...
- Calif. State Sen. Leland Yee accused by FBI of gun...
- Sixth crony green flop funded by Mississippi taxpa...
- Pecan orchards blooming in southern New Mexico, sc...
- US natural gas exports could change global market,...
- UK returns to fuel dependency for first time since...
- Another UN IPCC change in scientific consensus, 20...
- Global warming, the musical, opens in NY City Apri...
- Feds arrest Calif. Democrat St. Sen. Yee for arms ...
- US and Australia both predict likely 2014 El Nino ...
- Last week Germany's 2nd largest utility RWE announ...
- Young activists camp outside UN office in Caracas,...
- Lithuania pleads for US natural gas exports to cou...
- Poland gets 90% of its oil from Russia and more th...
- Ukraine needs fuel, wants to build pipeline to EU ...
- 'Slowdown' in sea level rise to 2.4mm/yr. 2003-201...
- Democrats could count on winning when Karl Rove wa...
- 'Absolutely no point in US and Europe going alone'...
- Governments across Europe are slashing over-genero...
- Russia supplies EU with a third of its natural gas...
- If NY City doesn't get some global warming soon it...
- To prevent floods China military bombs frozen sect...
- No drought in Bradenton, Florida. Yankees-Pirates ...
- US federal government tax revenues hit record high...
- California indoor marijuana growth emits CO2 equal...
- Science policy has always been political, scientis...
- Manufacture of Tesla electric car batteries is so ...
- Chinese marines practice combat in extremely cold ...
- Radical left mindset exemplified by Nov. 2011 NY T...
- French government support of diesel over reg. gaso...
- US taxpayer funded NASA study finds unequal wealth...
- $20 billion US taxpayer dollars are diverted yearl...
- NRCC has egg on its face-The Hill, Rick Manning
- Vermonters dig out, thousands ski on fresh feet of...
- Florida special election winner David Jolly was la...
- Because of smog Panasonic will pay Japanese employ...
- Global warming alarmism big loser in Florida Distr...
- March 2014 Gallup Poll finds human caused climate ...
- Report by NASA Apollo scientists and engineers say...
- No scientific evidence that California drought cau...
- UK PM David Cameron, his pen and phone are hirelin...
- California drought not linked to human caused clim...
- Calif. Gov. Jerry Brown and Israel PM Netanyahu si...
- Cold weather storms in Central Texas delay polls, ...
- Niagara Falls frozen for second time this winter
- Insurance exec. Warren Buffett says there's been n...
- Lake Michigan 90% covered in ice equaling highest ...
- NY City colder than Montana today at 17 degrees. O...
- Second coldest US winter in 35 yrs., 350 NOAA/NWS ...
- Naturally flammable Eucalyptus trees are 'living f...
- James Delingpole arrives at Breitbart London
- ▼ March (57)
- ► 2013 (550)
- ► 2012 (611)
- ► 2011 (487)
- ► 2010 (337)
- ► 2009 (33)