Did Trump cancel the Nov. 2016 election? Trump is apparently giving Obama personnel opportunity to influence his policies.. Trump has allowed many Obama holdovers to remain in the White House and NSC. Americans are in great danger as long as this remains the case. If Trump won't get rid of all the holdovers immediately, he should resign.
June 15, 2017, "Column one: Burying Obama’s legacy," Jerusalem Post, by Caroline B. Glick
"It may very well be that this week was the week that Israel and the US
put to rest former president Barack Obama’s policies and positions on
Israel and the Palestinians.
despite the best efforts of Obama’s team to convince the Trump administration to maintain them.
The details of Obama’s policies and positions have been revealed in
recent weeks in a series of articles published in Haaretz regarding
Obama’s secretary of state John Kerry’s failed peacemaking efforts,
which ended in 2014.
The articles reported segments of two drafts
of a US framework for a final peace treaty between the PLO and Israel.
The drafts were created in February and March 2014.
The article series is predicated on the assumption that Kerry and his
team were on the precipice of a historic breakthrough between PLO chief
Mahmoud Abbas and Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu. But a close reading
of the documents shows that the opposite was the case.
There are two reasons that Kerry had no prospects for reaching a deal.
he, Obama and their advisers were too hostile to Israel and its
citizens to ever convince Netanyahu that Israel’s interests would be
A February 2014 draft framework agreement, which was
based on conversations Kerry and his team held with Netanyahu and his
advisers, makes this clear. The draft includes Netanyahu’s demand that
Israeli communities in Judea and Samaria not annexed to Israel would
remain “in place” after the implementation of a peace deal, and
presumably, become towns in the future Palestinian state.
other words, Netanyahu demanded that the Israelis in Judea and Samaria
whose towns would be located in the territory of “Palestine” would enjoy
the same rights and protections as Israel’s Arab citizens enjoy.
and his team would have none of it. The February draft agreement notes,
“[US] negotiators need to check with PM [Netanyahu] on whether he wants
to [maintain this position]... They believe that if so, he will push
strongly for ‘in place.’ ‘In place’ is inconsistent with US policy and
therefore unacceptable to us as well as the Palestinians.”
other words, the position of the Obama administration was that all
Israelis living in areas that would become part of the Palestinian state
must be forcibly removed from their homes and communities.
Barak Ravid and Amir Tibon recalled that in previous rounds of
negotiations, the Palestinians – unlike the Obama administration – had
not rejected this Israeli position out of hand. That is, in demanding
the mass expulsion of Israeli Jews from their homes, the administration
adopted a policy more extreme than the PLO.
Then there is the problem with the PLO.
rejected Kerry’s February 2014 draft framework agreement, which was
based on conversations with Netanyahu and his advisors. But he also
rejected Kerry’s March 2014 agreement, which was based on the US’s
conversation with him and his advisors.
The March 2014 draft was
presented to Abbas by Obama himself during a meeting between the two in
the White House. Not only did Abbas not accept Obama’s offer, he refused
to respond to it.
This should have surprised no one. Abbas did
the same thing in 2008 after then-prime minister Ehud Olmert presented
Abbas with his peace proposal. Abbas’s predecessor, Yasser Arafat,
responded in the same way in July 2000 to then-prime minister Ehud
Barak’s peace offer, and in December 2000, to then-president Bill
Clinton’s peace offer.
Given the consistent track record, it is
beyond foolish to believe that anyone – even Trump – will fare
differently from his American and Israeli predecessors.
Perhaps the most interesting aspect of the Haaretz series is what they tell us about Netanyahu.
him or hate him, the Netanyahu revealed in the articles is a brilliant
statesman. In difficult diplomatic conditions, with the US openly siding
with the PLO against him, Netanyahu managed to parry and duck. Although
Haaretz tries to present Netanyahu as weak and compliant, the text
shows that the opposite was the case.
In the face of massive
pressure from Obama, Netanyahu refused to commit to anything. His only
recorded position was that all Israeli communities in Judea and Samaria
remain in place in perpetuity.
Rather than confront Kerry
directly, Netanyahu stood aside and watched as the Americans drafted
their anti-Israel proposals. He nodded. He smiled. He refused to commit
And he waited patiently for Abbas to walk away from the table.
this week, much to the dismay of many of his supporters, Netanyahu
appeared unwilling to move beyond the defensive position he maintained
throughout the Obama presidency. This week he took three great big steps
First, Netanyahu announced that he supports amending
Israel’s NGO law to ban foreign governments from funding political
nonprofits registered in Israel.
For the past 20 years, Israel
has been subjected to ever-escalating subversive campaigns funded and
often directed by foreign governments and carried out by
Israeli-registered NGOs. The purpose of these campaigns is to legitimize
political and economic warfare against the Jewish state by European and
other Western governments. The campaigns legitimize political and
economic warfare against Israel by demonizing the Jewish state, its
citizens and its soldiers.
In recent years, lawmakers have tried
repeatedly to block the funding. But due to US pressure, Netanyahu
scuttled all their attempts. Proposed reform bills were watered down
until they were limited to instituting weak reporting requirements.
Foreign government funds continue streaming into the coffers of NGOs
whose positions are supported by no significant domestic constituencies.
announcing that he now supports passing legislation that will bar
foreign government funding of nonprofits, Netanyahu is striking a
strategic blow at the political and economic war being waged against
Israel by the EU and by the international Left.
This war, waged
in the name of the Palestinians, has harmed Israel’s relations with the
Palestinians by discouraging them from living peacefully with their
Then there is UNRWA. The UN’s refugee agency
dedicated to the Palestinians is arguably one of the central reasons for
the perpetuation of the Palestinian conflict with Israel. Indeed, UNRWA
was formed by the Arab governments to specifically block all prospect
of peace between Israel and its neighbors.
UNRWA prevents the
permanent resettlement of the Arabs who left Israel in 1948 and 1949 as
well as their descendants. It has doomed five generations of “refugees”
to live in the squalor of its camps, blocked from receiving citizenship
in the countries of their birth and prevented from being resettled in
After Hamas took over Gaza in 2007,
then-secretary of state Condoleezza Rice and then-foreign minister Tzipi
Livni decided that the best way to respond to the move was by massively
increasing UNRWA’s budget. They were unmoved by the fact that UNRWA
employs Hamas terrorists. They ignored the fact that UNRWA schools in
Gaza and elsewhere indoctrinate their students to embrace jihad and the
cause of Israel’s annihilation.
Under Obama, the US increased its
payments to UNRWA even as UNRWA schools, clinics and other facilities
have been used as missile launching pads and storage depots in Hamas’s
war against Israel.
This week, Netanyahu finally put to rest the
dangerous folly that UNRWA is a foil to Hamas and a positive force in
the region. He called for UNRWA to be dismantled and for the
Palestinians and their descendants to be treated like every other
refugee group in the world and be resettled by the UN’s high
commissioner for refugees.
If Netanyahu’s move against UNRWA is
translated into actual Israeli and US policy, it will mark the beginning
of the end of one of the primary causes of the Palestinian conflict
Finally, there is incitement. Palestinian terrorism
would vastly diminish were it not for constant incitement that
encourages terrorism and rewards and celebrates terrorists.
it was established by the Qatari regime in 1996, Al Jazeera has been a
central engine of antisemitic and jihadist indoctrination of the
Palestinians. And yet, Israel has never moved to close Al Jazeera’s
bureau in Israel.
Israel has given the terrorist network a pass
largely because it hasn’t wanted to deal with the Western outcry that
such a move would provoke.
This week, for the first time,
Netanyahu, along with Defense Minister Avigdor Liberman, announced they
support Al Jazeera’s closure and have directed their staff to consider
the best way to do so.
In so doing, Netanyahu and Liberman are
making the most of the opportunity afforded Israel by the Arab states’
open cleavage with Qatar. Last week, Saudi Arabia and Jordan closed Al
Jazeera’s bureaus in Riyadh and Amman. Egypt, which closed Al Jazeera’s
offices in 2013, blocked its website.
Taken both separately and
together, Netanyahu’s moves this week strike strategic blows at three
central components of the Palestinian conflict with Israel. Incitement,
political warfare and the eternalization of Palestinian refugee status
all render the conflict intractable and prevent peaceful Palestinian
leaders from emerging.
Notably, whereas the Obama administration
would have subjected Israel to hysterical condemnations if Netanyahu had
dared to take the steps he took this week, the Trump administration has
taken no position on Netanyahu’s announcements.
The real reason
that Trump appears to be burying Obama’s legacy is because unlike the
ideologically- driven Obama, Trump is willing to consider evidence and
facts when determining his opinions.
In May, Abbas came to the
White House and told Trump that he abjured terrorism. Israel then
presented Trump with evidence that Abbas publicly incites terrorism and
uses the Palestinian Authority budget to support terrorists and their
Trump took in the information and upbraided Abbas for lying to him.
this week Secretary of State Rex Tillerson falsely told Congress that
Abbas had cut off the payments. And true, Tillerson doubled down on his
assertion after both the Palestinians and Israel said the payments have
not been cut off.
True as well that Trump continues to believe that he can make “the deal” that his predecessors failed to secure.
But the fact is that Trump has given Netanyahu support as he has walked away from the failed policy paradigm of the Obama years.
other words, Netanyahu’s moves this week, and the fact that the Trump
administration has left him alone to make them without being
second-guessed or condemned by Washington, indicates that we have
finally moved past Obama’s legacy.
Where we are going is still
unknown. But what is certain is that by going after the sources of the
continued malignancy of the conflict and pushing back against the lies
that informed Obama’s policies, both Israel and the US have abandoned
News that doesn't receive the necessary attention.
Sunday, June 18, 2017
Despite Trump apparently allowing Obama personnel opportunity to influence his Israel policy, and despite Tillerson twice falsely denying continuing Palestinian payments to families of terrorists, Trump is at least not calling for increased funding of UNRWA as Obama and Bush did, and he's not hostile to Israel and its citizens like Obama was-Caroline Glick, Jerusalem Post, 6/15/17
- ► 2018 (623)
- Commenter shocked to hear things Mika and Joe say ...
- David Miliband wants millions more US taxpayer dol...
- Targets of media destruction usually sit there and...
- Virginia student will spend 100 days in jail for r...
- Trump proves elections don't matter after all sinc...
- To the Meathead: The Democracy you say you want to...
- Initial reports that Russia hacked Germany, France...
- Beltway Republicans set on sabotaging Trump have b...
- George HW Bush destroyed coal jobs long before Oba...
- Definitely not CNN Fake News, genuine sad faces at...
- Karen Handel thanked President Trump for his suppo...
- A decade ago liberals routinely asserted that low-...
- In 2012 Rockefeller Republican George Shultz endor...
- San Jose, Calif. gov. homeless policy leaves neigh...
- Czech Republic, Hungary, and Poland say no thanks ...
- Illegal alien from El Salvador murders 17 year old...
- FBI offered $50,000 to author of 'Golden Showers' ...
- Alabama terror suspect Aziz Sayyed (or Sayed) move...
- Fatherhood is the job that pays the least in monet...
- Despite Trump apparently allowing Obama personnel ...
- Trump admin. continues to run on skeleton staff, v...
- William Wilberforce Act signed Dec. 23, 2008 force...
- Some House Republicans are convinced Trump will be...
- Bernie Sanders' wife tells CNN media fans flames o...
- Attorney says mosque paid doctor to perform genita...
- Japan leads the world in opting out of national su...
- Animal abuse by globalist foot soldiers continues:...
- 39 HuffPost staff laid off as Verizon combines Huf...
- Democrat President of National Assn. of Secretarie...
- Trump administration is "shot through with disloya...
- Congressional so-called leadership has known since...
- Hillary refused to meet with State Dept. Inspector...
- Why did Comey think a Hillary Clinton 'Hill' wasn'...
- Scholar says even Trump doesn't recognize depth of...
- US political establishment's desire to get to the ...
- New York Times seated in last row at June 9, 2017 ...
- California Democrat Ted Lieu has called for more l...
- Biggest common denominator among Obama voters who ...
- Communist China dominates the world in CO2 emissio...
- Hillary declined to say whether, if elected, she'd...
- Obama DOJ could've stopped Comey from publicizing ...
- Senior Democrat Nadler called for Comey firing in ...
- Far from documenting abuse of power by President T...
- MIT scientist says New York Times pushed “fraudule...
- More and more it occurs to me that we need to ditc...
- Despite lack of independently verified evidence, T...
- Historic! Portland, Oregon held a peaceful pro-Tru...
- Terror and the Teddy Bear Society that won't defen...
- Jordan downgrades diplomatic relations with Qatar,...
- London mayor says terrorist attacks are "part and ...
- Candidate Bernie Sanders said NATO should expand t...
- UK's Katie Hopkins was early supporter of Donald T...
- Only violation of law in so-called Russia meddling...
- Pres. of German auto industry lobby says Europe mu...
- To Der Spiegel staff: President Trump on June 1 me...
- What caused Goldman Sachs CEO Blankfein to emerge ...
- Washington Post 'fact-checkers' swing and miss at ...
- Full transcript of President Trump's speech withdr...
- Wonderful Joan Armatrading song: "Down to Zero," 1...
- Vatican humiliated by endorsing carbon credits sca...
- John Kerry told Paris climate conference that even...
- Climate policy isn't about climate, UN IPCC offici...
- Sahara desert dust poisons Florida coast waters ye...
- ▼ June (63)
- ► 2016 (1319)
- ► 2015 (661)
- ► 2014 (456)
- ► 2013 (550)
- ► 2012 (611)
- ► 2011 (487)
- ► 2010 (337)
- ► 2009 (33)