7/15/14, "Cuomo says 'we don't get tornadoes' in NY, but we've had at least 417," syracuse.com, Glenn Coin
"Gov. Andrew Cuomo told reporters last week that the rare deadly tornado that struck Madison County on July 8 was part of a "new normal" of extreme weather.
"We don't get tornadoes in New York, right? Anyone will tell you that," Cuomo said at a news conference July 8 in Smithfield, where the tornado struck. "Well, we do now."
In fact, we always have.
Since the federal government started keeping a tally in 1950, New
York has had at least 417 tornadoes. That's an average of seven per
"For him to say we don't get tornadoes in New York was incorrect,"
said Scott Steiger, a SUNY Oswego meteorology professor. "He didn't do
his homework. Severe weather has happened in New York for a long time."
New York has averaged seven tornadoes a year since 1950. The number was
about five a year before 1990, and has been about 10 per year since
The increase could be because more tornadoes are happening or simply that more are being reported.
"Are we seeing more events or are we just knowing more about the
events that we didn't know about before?" asked Bill Bunting, operations
chief at the Storm Prediction Center in Oklahoma. "I would say probably we don't know, but a lot of it's the reporting."
Bunting said that smart phones and social media have made it easier
for people to send evidence of tornadoes to researchers. The National
Weather Service, for example, confirmed a tornado on Sunday after being sent pictures and video over Facebook.
"In my 29 years with the National Weather Service, it's become a lot easier for us to become aware of events," Bunting said.
The weather service has confirmed eight tornadoes in New York so far this year.
Even if more tornadoes are hitting New York, it's not clear that's
because of climate change.
Tornadoes are caused by a complicated set of
factors, including thunderstorms loaded with moisture, and wind shear in
the upper atmosphere.
While climate change would be expected to increase the instability of
those storms, Bunting said, it might also be expected to reduce wind
"The evidence that looks into whether or not severe thunderstorms or
tornadoes will increase in a warming world is inconclusive," he said.
Because the numbers of tornadoes is relatively low in New York, and
because so many can pop up at the same time, the statistics fluctuate
widely from year to year.
There were just four tornadoes in 2012, but 23 the year before.
Tornadoes are spawned from heavy thunderstorms that sweep across the
region, so they tend to come in batches. The Smithfield tornado was the
strongest of five that struck New York on July 8. On May 31, 1998, New
York had 13 tornadoes.
New York's tornadoes tend to be less intense and long-lasting than
those on the plains. Tornadoes are rated on the Enhanced Fujita scale
from zero to 5. New York tends to get storms from EF-0 to EF-2. The Smithfield tornado was at the top end of an EF-2, with wind speeds of 135 mph. The biggest one in New York this year was an EF-3, which hit May 23 in Warren County.
The last death from a tornado in New York before last week was September 2010, when one person was killed in Queens."
"You can search our database for all New York tornadoes since 1950:
- Want to see all the tornadoes? Hit search without entering any search terms.
- If second search turns up nothing, make sure you cleared search terms in earlier search.
- You can search for the county or community two ways: Either enter the
county or the community name. Or you can use the dropdowns."
News that doesn't receive the necessary attention.
Tuesday, July 15, 2014
Experts say NY Gov. Cuomo in error to say 'NY didn't get tornadoes' until now. NY State has had at least 417 since records began in 1950, and no reason to connect NY tornadoes to alleged excess CO2 or man caused global warming-Syracuse Post-Standard
- ► 2017 (694)
- ► 2016 (1320)
- ► 2015 (661)
- Rainbow over Detroit Tigers Stadium during rain de...
- No drought in northeast Texas, tarp on the field i...
- Definitely no drought in the Bronx, tarp on the fi...
- 130 UN-backed environmental groups call for end of...
- EU countries reliant on Russia for uranium, nuclea...
- No drought in Atlanta, tarp on the field Phillies ...
- Australia still has carbon dioxide taxation, Prime...
- US utilities scrambling for coal, imports on pace ...
- Australia Senate votes to repeal carbon dioxide ta...
- Experts say NY Gov. Cuomo in error to say 'NY didn...
- Wealthy Democrat Colorado Congressman Polis anti-f...
- Congressman wonders if Border Patrol Agents have s...
- DR Congo city near huge freshwater reservoir, also...
- FDA has steered millions in tobacco research grant...
- China admits trading in tiger skins during Endange...
- Toledo solar panel maker Xunlight abruptly shuts d...
- EU in talks with US to force US taxpayers to trans...
- No drought in the Beltway, Orioles at Nationals po...
- California marijuana industry is devastating wildl...
- Tarp on the field in Boston vs Chicago White Sox
- Fourth of July fireworks over the Triborough Bridg...
- ▼ July (21)
- ► 2013 (550)
- ► 2012 (611)
- ► 2011 (487)
- ► 2010 (337)
- ► 2009 (33)